You can log in using single-user mode and create a new root password.
To enter single-user mode, reboot your computer. If you use the default boot loader, GRUB, you can enter single user mode by performing the following:
- At the boot loader menu, use the arrow keys to highlight the installation you want to edit and type [A] to enter into appendmode.
- You are presented with a prompt that looks similar to the following:
grub append> ro root=LABEL=/
- Press the Spacebar once to add a
space, then add the word single to tell GRUB to boot into single-user Linux mode. The result should look like the following:
ro root=LABEL=/ single
- Press [Enter] and GRUB will boot single-user Linux mode. After it finishes loading, you will be presented with a shell prompt similar to the following:
- You can now change the root password by typing